Tuesday 11 February 2014

Feedback from initial questions

As I mentioned in an earlier post that I was going to ask some of my questions to experienced teachers. I now have feedback from 3 different experienced teachers which I feel will help me develop my practice. Below is the feedback from a mix of questions.


Feedback from Initial questions
(Dance teacher, aged 22, Teaches age 3-16)
-          How would you teach a class of students/children at different levels with different capabilities and skills? Without holding the more capable students back but also not making the class too difficult and advanced for the less capable students?

I would split the class into different groups, teach the more capable ones something at a fast pace and let them practice to get it perfect. Then the less capable I would really take my time going over and over it with them a little section at a time. If it was for a routine I would probably separate the class into groups and teach the more capable ones something advanced and the less capable something a little easier. I would then allocate them their own sections in the dance.


-          How would you get the best out of every student without focusing all your attention on the students with more potential than others?

To get the best out of every student I think you need to make them all feel like there just as good as each other, even the ones who don’t have as much potential I try to give a lot more positive feedback to them. For example tell them there doing great and good try allowing them to keep their confidence up and keep focused.

-          When a student/child is constantly distracting the class and demanding attention from you – how would you keep the class moving forward without wasting time constantly having to speak to the demanding child?

When a child is constantly distracting the class, I always tell them they have 3 chances. If I have to shout at them or say their name more than 3 times then I make them sit at the front and don’t allow them to join in with the rest of the class. It usually works and if they do sit out, the usually say sorry straight away and ask to join back in.

-          How would you keep children fully engaged when they start to get distracted whilst also keeping your lesson plans and objectives in tact?

To keep children fully engaged throughout the class, I think you have to keep the class exciting and keep referring to what they are going to get out the end. Eg the classes are always working towards something at the end either exams or a show, so I make it clear to them that if they keep working this hard and stay focused that they will look great on the stage, or how well they will do in their exam.

(Dance teacher, aged 35, Teaches all ages 3-21 – Dance schools &vocational college’s)



How would you teach a class of students/children at different levels with different capabilities and skills? Without holding the more capable students back but also not making the class too difficult and advanced for the less capable students?

 I have chosen to respond to your question regarding teaching a class off students with different levels/mixed abilities.
It’s actually very common for me to find myself in front of this type of class, as street dance/commercial is not a ‘Core’ subject on the time table such as ballet/jazz etc, therefore I do not have the privilege of splitting the classes into A and B groups. This often means that I can be teaching up to 30 students all with varying dance backgrounds. My first year students are typical of this mixed level grouping, with the majority having never experienced commercial street before and a handful of advanced street dancers who are at vocational college mainly for the more technical side of their training. In light of this, it can be difficult to meet all students’ needs in one class.
How I work to overcome this is to teach a block of commercial choreography, one that challenges musicality, dynamics, levels etc and break it down so that all students have a better understanding of how each move should feel (kinaesthetically). There will always be some students who are slower to pick up the routine therefore once choreography is broken down; I put them into smaller groups to go over it. What I’ve done in previous sessions is to give my more advanced group the challenge of choreographing a further 16 counts whilst I work with those that are struggling with the style/dynamics/weight placement etc. I have then sometimes challenged advanced students further by then asking them to teach their choreography to rest of the students. This way, those struggling to pick up the choreography get the chance to work in a more intimate group under my guidance until they are more confident, and those who appear to be flying through class then have to think about putting together their own choreography whist also paying attention to the musicality, flow etc. The final challenge comes with having to break it down and teaching it to their peers. I have found that some advanced students will rise to this task with ease, whilst others, although strong commercially, feel a little out of their comfort zone coming up with choreography but it does push them to think in a different way.
At the end of session I like each smaller group to perform in front of their peers. They are then given individual feedback and informally assessed on their progress. Students are also asked to observe and give a positive comment along with an area for improvement.
 
Another differentiation exercise is to get more advanced students to perform the choreography facing away from the mirrors, I also ask them to change up at least one move and make it their own, Or, to interact with each other- for example they might freestyle during the first few counts of music before the choreography starts.
 
I find these types of exercises keep more advanced students on their toes as it poses further challenges on top of what they have already learnt.
Students who are not as confident start to emulate the style of the more advanced dancers and start to become more confident within their performance.
Everyone is pushed, but at the right level for them as individuals.

Megan Lewis feedback

When a student/child is constantly distracting the class and demanding attention from you – how would you keep the class moving forward without wasting time constantly having to speak to the demanding child?


If it's one child, and it's constant I would ignore the poor behaviour and praise the good behaviour (of everyone) as much as possible in the hope that they are just looking for attention and I can guide them in the correct direction. I would also have a chat with the parent and see if there is a problem elsewhere.

With younger children I often remind them all to put their "dance brain" in at the start of class and we go to the pretend cupboard and get out our pretend locked box etc. I can then "remind" them of anything I'd like them to think about during the lesson. Set out your expectations.

If one of my children older children/students does something I don't approve of etc I do speak to them about it - they might not know it is inappropriate. Once I've explained, I don't expect to see them doing it again. They appreciate my fairness, I appreciate their cooperation! If they don't cooperate, I'm not fair...

I think it's much more beneficial for the children to feel as though they have been rewarded, rather than reprimanded. Words mean a lot. Also, establishing rules and boundaries and sticking to them is vital.

After reading the feeback from these questions I will allow myself to try new methods and approaches to take when teaching my classes. I realise not all teachers will deal with situations the same way but I believe it is about finding a right way for me and what I feel will benefit the children the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment